They say that people dress up on Halloween to be able to escape into a character they have fantasized about or always wanted to be in real life! Well I guess I am a very mixed up woman with numerous personalities because I have worn so many different costumes over the years.
Well maybe that does say something about my character after all! 😉
I have been Pebbles from the Flintstones, a naughty school girl, a ballerina, a hula girl, Katy Perry, a pilot, a gangster, a rapper, a rocker chick, a Spanish dancer, a Blues Brother, an FBI agent, a french maid and of course a witch as you see here. Seeing this in print as I write it, I think maybe I am acting out the many different sides of my crazy personality!
The interesting thing here is that I get crazier as the years go by!
Shouldn’t I be mellowing out after 50? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha well that’s not going to happen! I get bored easily so sitting around reading a book in my rocking chair, watching jeopardy or signing up for lawn bowling isn’t going to happen anytime soon.
They say age is just a number but actually you are as old as your birthday states you are! That doesn’t mean you have to act it or stop doing the fun things you used to do! You can sleep when you’re six feet under so until that time you should be living your best diverse YOU!
Live out your fantasies, embrace any occasion or event and live your life! The more we play dress up, the younger we feel.
Last night I had a terrorizing nightmare that I was running in a big crowd screaming and trying to get away from someone. It spooked me so badly that I couldn’t go back to sleep after I woke from it.
This morning I hear the tragic news regarding the mass shooting in Las Vegas and cannot shake this internal sickness I feel. What is wrong in our beautiful world? Why is there so much hatred and anger towards others?
Why are some of our powerful leaders threatening each other through social media and not setting an example of kindness for people everywhere? How is this allowed to continue so that it creates followers and even more controversy among two different ways of thinking?
Why do I feel like I am back in elementary school with how this is being handled?
Why are the weather patterns destroying so many cities and leaving thousands of people homeless and devastated? Is the great power above trying to tell us something? Are we literally killing our planet due to global warming and negative or racist attitudes?
I am not religious but I am definitely a spiritual person and practice being kind to others on a daily basis. I have always believed in the goodness of human beings but I am quickly becoming discouraged by the horror that one person can orchestrate such a horrific act as this.
Help me to understand how a mind can even work this way? How can someone justify that there is any validity to their premeditated plan of killing innocent people?
What is wrong with us that we can’t stop this fucking madness? We all have blood running through our veins but we can’t seem to open our eyes and see that we are “all one” as human beings!
We ALL have to do something every single day to change this “divide and conquer” attitude that is happening in so many countries around the world!
We need to wake up and come together more than ever right now. It shouldn’t take a devastating catastrophe to bring us closer and act humane towards each other. It should be “a given” because we are grateful to be a part of this beautiful planet that we are so blessed to experience.
I am heart broken today but I will continue to do my part in being a good person and helping others as much as I possibly can. I will always remain compassionate and I will not stop trying to make a difference in this world.
Yes, I could stay silent and not draw attention to this madman and his obvious need for power, but I won’t. We need to talk about change and uniting as a nation, not bury our heads in the sand. Someone is trying to tell us something and it is about time we listened!
We literally need to make love and stop with all this war against others. ❤
I am very excited to be writing an article on the Baru Latino restaurant because it is my favorite place to eat and hang out in the Kitsilano hood! It has a downtown atmosphere feel to it without having to cross over the bridge to get there.
What makes this place so special? Pretty much everything! One of the main reasons to visit this highly popular spot, besides the incredible food and the ambience; is the “hands on” owners!
Rene Lafleur is one of the owners (yes, he is related to hockey legend Guy Lafleur – his dad’s second cousin!) and despite his very French name, he does not speak the language. Rene spent 12 years as a drummer with the band “Star Collector” who proudly have 4 full length albums. He is the numbers geek, wine guy and host at Baru.
Co-owner Dave Newis has been a kitsilano fixture for many years working in numerous establishments & known as a bartender extraordinaire! Dave also traveled Canada playing beach volleyball. He is the “attention to detail” Milieu expert at Baru!
Dave’s wife Zeta Newis is the Head Chef at Baru and also co-owner of Baru Rubs & Sauces with Rene’s wife Nina Lafleur! This definitely adds validity to the cliché; “Those who play together stay together!”
Baru Rubs and Sauces may have only been around for 2 years, but these two entrepreneurial women already have their products in 5 whole Food stores and 8 other various stores throughout BC. Who needs the Dragons Den to promote your business when you have these two go-getters!
Baru Latino was an established name & venue when Dave & Rene decided to delve into this business. They loved the space on sight! Tired of working for someone else & spending so much time throwing their own dinner parties, they decided to look for a place to call their own!
Both owners are originally from Alberta, moved to Vancouver in 1991, met here & have been friends for 12 years. Business partners for 8 years, they are quite the characters & each offers something different and unique to the restaurant.
Talk about meeting someone at “the right place at the right time” and what a great team they are!
They make it work so well and the “dinner party theme” is definitely the feel you get when you walk in the door! The atmosphere is fun and romantically contagious.
Chef Zita Newis, sous chef Mathew Wilson, cooks Tristen Jones and Kristy Averves are responsible for the amazing food reputation at Baru. The guava glazed 10 oz pork chop & ceviche are my favorites but everything on the menu is fantastic!
They encourage family style sharing and the restaurant is pleasantly affordable with the most expensive entree; Steak Chimmichurri 7oz Sirloin steak, with chimmichurri sauce, served with jalapeno potato pave and topped with a smoky corn salsa served with seasonal vegetables priced at $31.
The menu is 95% gluten free excluding the bread & chocolate lava cake! It is also nut free with the exception of a few behind the bar! (Dave’s words not mine!)
Baru’s Famous Pork Chop
The dining area at Baru seats 44-48 people with an additional 15 bar seats. It is a popular location for many functions/private parties and has been voted as a great date night hangout! It’s not uncommon for online daters to meet up here for their first rendezvous. The beautiful actress Natalie Portman was seen dining in Baru along with many other visiting and local celebrities. They love the cozy non-pretentious atmosphere!
Seasonal White Fish
❤ The incredible lighting and uniquely flavored mojito drinks give it a romantic flare that makes couples feel amorous! There is a happy hour available every day of the week from 5-6:30 which includes $5 red/white sangria, double mojitos for $7, red or white wine $6 for a 6oz glass ($9 for a 9oz glass) and 1516 beers for $4. This is very affordable especially for those “first date” evenings! ❤
*Mention this article when making your “date night” reservation and Baru will offer you something special to help with those “first date” jitters! ❤
Baru Latino Restaurant participates in Dine Out Vancouver every year and has many repeat customers due to how much they enjoy their first dining experience at Baru! They can’t wait to come back!
There is entertainment available on special evenings so please check out the Baru website for more information or call the restaurant anytime to find out what’s happening. (604) 222-9171
Regardless of whether you are a local Vancouverite or an out of town visiting guest, it is will be an evening you will always remember. Make your reservations soon and don’t miss out on this incredible Latino experience at 2535 Alma Street on the west side of Vancouver. There is free parking available underground behind the restaurant.
I live a very full & pretty decent life for the most part. I have two children, a dog and a great partner whom I still love after 10 years. His job is demanding & I work 5 days a week myself. I am also putting in time to develop my own business on the side to help with our heavy mortgage.
Needless to say juggling it all and still having a busy social schedule is a challenge as I am sure it is for many people out there. My sex-life is non-existent at the moment & my passion for it is a little depleted due to the lack of physical connection my husband and I share.
Even though I seem to be managing my crazy life, I have to admit I feel tired & stressed out all the time these days!
I do not take care of myself in the way I should due to time restrictions with work, & the children’s activities. I do not feel nearly as sexy or attractive as I used to in my single days. I don’t have time to be the feminine hot woman of my past existence anymore.
I don’t even know what a girl’s night out is these days! My friends seem to have given up on me because I have so little time for them. I don’t blame them.
Every so often I get very depressed and do not want to see or talk to anyone which makes it even worse. I feel overwhelmed ~ Any ideas to help??
I am saddened by how many men and women complain about the difficulties they have enjoying a successful dating life. Both sexes must learn how to open up and talk to each other without initial harsh judgment or sabotage due to their own subconscious insecurities.
Men & women need to make an effort to understand their gender differences and embrace them instead of finding fault with each other!
Not too long ago a friend of mine was publicly reprimanded by a male radio host for a blog she posted about being an Alpha Female. The guy who started this negative feedback regularly discusses women on his show in a derogatory way.
Why do we do this to each other and why are some men and women so damn angry?
People are just not meeting face to face as often and it is so easy to vent their frustration behind a computer rather than figure out why things aren’t working for them. The biggest change you can make is to get outside and talk to real people!
Hiding behind your dating profile doesn’t help you mingle or give you incentive that there are some really great men and women out there in your city! Listening to others complain online about their dating woes or never meeting anyone of substance can become negatively embedded into your mind.
The reason online dating apps and computer dating is so popular is because both men and women lack ideas or creativity on where to rendezvous when they want to meet a potential date. It also has a lot to do with self-esteem and fear of rejection as well.
The most obvious choice for many is the bar & nightclub scene. This is “one night stand” territory no matter how you look at it. There will always be the exception of a few people who end up in a committed relationship with someone they meet in a club, but for the most part it is a short lived scenario.
Many people wake up the next day & seldom call the number they have in their coat pocket from the night before. (This is mainly due to too much alcohol & lack of confidence to make the phone call. Or they can’t remember the conversation or what they even look like!!)
Meeting in a lounge or a restaurant is a better environment to potentially meet someone but you have to be more confident to actually talk to them without the dance option available at night clubs.
Alcohol is a great relaxer for many women & it also gives men liquid courage to approach a woman. This is why the bar scene is a repetitive hangout for so many frustrated people. Unfortunately it is usually the same old story every weekend & everyone wakes up perturbed & lonely and the pattern continues.
Some of the situations to be aware of when meeting a potential partner:
If you are using online dating services be aware that some people are only really interested in a sexual relationship. Really pay attention to what their profile says & notice any red flags with their pictures. Photos really are worth a thousand words on most online dating sites and many people choose to ignore these obvious signs!
Don’t get caught up and blinded by a person’s status! These are men and women who only date or sleep with a certain high profile type. These people usually frequent the same establishments and word travels fast. Do you really want to be known as a groupie? (You may not even be aware that you have this reputation.)
Be aware of men & women who are looking for a sugar daddy/mama type lifestyle and will only date someone in this financial league. They are usually pretty easy to spot so keep your eyes open and observe. Body language is also a dead giveaway.
Don’t allow yourself to be the constant mistress! Married men will not come to you continually unless you are sending out vulnerable and available signals. You should never be OK being number 2 in a relationship.
People who only date the perfect & beautiful types. Their physical standards are so high that everything else is overlooked in the relationship. Both sexes fall into this category.
External riches do not necessarily bring internal riches.
Finding true love should not be abusive or emotionally painful. Getting yourself stuck in a routine will close doors on other available options that could ultimately work for you.
If you classify yourself as a certain “type” or that you only like a certain type of person, you will be forever stuck in repetitive scenarios. Fear can be a powerful relationship suppressor, so be cognizant of forming any patterns that keep you from having love in your life because you are afraid of what may or may not happen.
Challenge those internal demons as to why you don’t feel worthy of having love in your life.
If you don’t have the strength to get out of reoccurring heart breaking situations, then start observing some of your friends who may be stronger than you and follow their lead. (Don’t be afraid to ask for help or to hire someone professionally for a short time.)
Change up your dating patterns & the venues so that you have a better chance of meeting someone of substance. Everyone deserves love!
Some of the 10 best places to meet at least start up a good conversation:
Golf driving range or at an Executive Par 3 course as less serious golfers will go there. (Unless of course you are a great player!)
Tennis court (Use the back wall where other solo players will practice.)
The gym (Be friendly & acknowledge people near you ~ Say hi & take off your headphones!) It really is the easiest place to strike up a conversation.
Airport (Talk to people in the holding room or restaurants.)
Hiking trails or a Beach/Park with high people traffic.
Any mingle social event or lounge (Do not seat yourself in a booth; always stay open to the room.)
Meet up groups (Check your local area for the numerous groups available or start one of your own! Thursday night pub night or something to that effect.)
Take a course or join a group activity where there will be men and women attending who have similar interests as you. That way you already have something in common.
Speed Dating & Online Dating sites/apps (Do your homework & find the best ones that work for you.) Don’t waste much time texting back and forth. If they don’t want to meet up sooner than later, move on.
The worst thing you can do is stay home and complain that you are not meeting anyone or that all men and women are messed up. There are some wonderful people who are just as ready as you are to be in a loving relationship.
Don’t become a non-believer and get stuck in a circle of negative thinking. If it ain’t working change it up!
You are in charge of you, so listen to your instincts and work out the kinks that may be causing you to sabotage love from entering your life. It’s totally your decision and no one else.
We have to stop pointing fingers at each other and be responsible for our own happiness. Being defensive will not bring you what you are looking for long term; it will keep repelling it away from you.
Be open & ready to receive a loving partnership into your life. ❤
Oh God, it’s that dreadful time of year again where I feel even lonelier than every other day of the year being single. February 14th and all the romantic hype is a reminder of how alone I really am! It is a very depressing day for me.
I am a 28 year old fairly attractive outgoing woman living in Toronto and in desperate need of some advice on how to get through the “wrath of cupid” every year on this day!
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
I have this conversation with women all the time and I am sure single guys probably feel the void as well but just don’t vocalize it.
The one thing I always did when I was single on Valentines’ Day was to go out & socialize! “Screw Cupid, he can shove the arrow right up his a#s!” I usually went to a lounge or Pub that had less of a romantic setting with pool tables, dart boards & other manly attractions.
It was interesting to see how many other people showed up as well! You are pretty much guaranteed that everyone who is not with a partner in the room on Valentine’s Day…is single! That can be a great time to meet someone!
Going out for a coffee or a movie with a girlfriend is also a great way to not give into the BS of February 14th only being a date night! Don’t be afraid to be seen without a man on your arm. Go out and show your confidence on this annoying relationship celebration! You are proud to be single and not settling with someone just to be in a couple’s scenario. You are waiting for real love! ❤
Hibernating and feeling sad at home means you are giving into this holiday stereotype and letting Hallmark & other marketing scams work their financial rewards. Be a rebel and stand tall!
You are a fantastic person whether you are single or not. Do not ever let a relationship define who you are!
Being single has many benefits that a lot of married people will occasionally yearn for!
Here are 12 things to think about that will help you deal with Feb 14th
You can do whatever you want whenever you want & be spontaneous!
Girl’s night out can happen often and without having to plan it 2-3 weeks in advance or without having to get permission from a partner.
It doesn’t matter what goes on in Vegas ~ you can be as bad as you want!
You can order “take out” every night and never use your oven!
You don’t have to shave your legs or get a Brazilian & you can wear your comfortable “big girl panties” without being judged!
You can watch, The Bachelor, The Young & Restless, The Breakup or any chick flick you want! You are in charge of the remote!
You don’t have to watch Dick Flicks!
You can put a 6 pack of beer in the fridge on Friday and there will be 4 bottles left on Monday!
You have complete control of the house temperature & the bed covers!
Your toilet seat will always remain in the downward position.
Your newspaper/magazines will never end up in the bathroom & remain on the coffee table completely intact.
The only snoring or farting you hear will be your own. 🙂
Now get off the couch Samantha, be proud you are single & go out for a fun Valentine’s Day!
Regardless of whether you are in a relationship or just dating at the moment, these tips are something to implement into your sex-life.
Many of us forget about the little things that we loved about each other when we first met & we become complacent within our relationships. This is not something to be taken lightly and nurturing the love between you & your partner should be a top priority on a daily basis.
Taking each other for granted is one of the top reasons for the divorce statistics today.
You chose each other for a reason ~ don’t forget why. Keep things fresh & alive by continually adding new special memories within your relationship. You wouldn’t stop loving & nurturing your children, so put in the same energy with loving your partner.
Women love romance and if a man knows how to be romantic, he will be able to sensuously lure his lady into the bedroom without persistence. Men love regular sex so this is a win/win situation!
50 Sex Tips & Intimate Suggestions to Keep Your Relationship Strong:
1. Both sexes need to keep sex fresh and alive! Don’t be predictable!
2. Men like women who are willing to explore new things between the sheets & who initiate sex as well.
3. Women like massage/candles/soft words and a man who caresses them. (They do not like to be to be groped or men who are constantly aggressive!)
4. Men love lingerie and a woman who enjoys wearing it. (They also like sexual surprises when out for the evening. Many men find it very sexy when he knows what his lady is wearing or “not” wearing under her outfit.
5. Booze-less sex is better than a drunken session. The senses are more alive when sober! (And you actually remember you had sex!)
6. Daytime sex is the best scenario for both genders. Sex after 9pm becomes a quick expected routine & not always as arousing because everyone is tired from their busy day.
7. A little naughty talk in the bedroom is alluring for both sexes!
8. Send phone sex messages during the work day. (If you call them at the office ensure the speaker phone is off!)
9. Always listen to what your partner says they like during sex.
10. Don’t ignore men’s nipples.
11. Pick up on their desires in & out of the bedroom & use it to your advantage.
12. The smallest romantic gestures will increase your odds of better sex or at least getting it once in a while. Head nods towards the bedroom are not considered foreplay.
13. Try new positions. Don’t become a “vanilla sex” creature of habit in the bedroom.
14. Wear cologne or body cream lightly & do not forget the deodorant! You may not think you need it but trust me most people do!
15. Learn how to read each other’s emotions & feelings so you know when they are in the mood for love or at least how you can help get them in the mood.
16. Be aware of their body language. Know when something is not right
17. Light Candles. Hold hands when you are sitting beside from them on the coach and talk with them about things they are interested in. Show them you really care about their life.
18. Ladies; after your man gets home from work, bring him a drink or the remote control for half an hour. He needs time to unwind quietly for a bit and is ready not a deep conversation. Or sit together and chat lightly about other things that aren’t stressful.
19. Men: after your orgasm sex is NOT over!
20. Scream out during sex once in awhile let the neighbors know you are not that boring couple after all.
21. Sex is not just penetration!
22. Don’t ask someone if they would like to have sex! Be creative and lure them into the bedroom.
23. Shave! That goes for both sexes; do a little landscaping.
24. Sexting is great foreplay!
25. Complement your partner & make them feel good about themselves which gives them confidence that you find them attractive. Body image is very important, especially for women.
26. Don’t wear flannel pajamas, curlers or eye shades to bed or around the house for the matter.
27. Shave her legs or paint her toenails once in awhile ~ wax his unibrow or give him a foot massage.
28. Wash his/her hair or other pampering things Mom used to do.
29. Dress sexy for them, even at home.
30. Dental hygiene; floss, whiten and keep your breath fresh! Yellow teeth are a huge turn off and get worse with age, be preventative before it happens.
31. Get rid of granny panties & tighty whities!
32. Tell each other what you like & want in bed. Guide each other with your hands. Don’t just lie there like a starfish.
33. Men love women who actually enjoy giving oral sex and don’t just do it on their Birthday because it is expected. The same goes with oral sex for women. It makes us more comfortable & relaxed when our man enjoys it. (Don’t forget to eat a little pineapple!)
34. Think ahead romantically for special occasions.
35. Sexual confidence is a turn on for both sexes!
36. Take your time during sex; don’t be in a rush for the finish line or happy ending!
37. Find their erogenous zones and work them, especially if you want them to get in the mood before your bedroom liaison.
38. Don’t assume that one orgasm is all they are good for. (That goes for men too, ladies.)
39. Have sex outside the bedroom.
40. Make-out on the couch, elevator or in the car like a teenager if you have been together for a while.
41. Tell them often that you love them & want them. Don’t assume they know.
42. Be respectful of each other’s time. Late for a date probably means you won’t get laid that night!
43. Valentine’s Day is a reminder of “romance for dummies” so make other days special for no reason other than you care about them.
44. Don’t be afraid to be a mush-ball occasionally. Let down your conservative guard and really show your soft emotional side. It makes the other person feel special when you show a little vulnerability.
45. Have a naughty “pet name” for them in the privacy of your bedroom.
46. Read or watch something sexy together to spice things up if you feel like your sex life is becoming repetitive.
47. Take turns planning weekly date nights. Be creative! It also keeps you focused on your partner during the time you are prepping for the big night.
48. Never be too busy for your partner! Take their calls, text them throughout the day, make their favorite meal, bring home little gifts once in awhile and always remember dates on the calendar that are important to them.
49. Kiss them deeply every day, hug them constantly and always get up to greet each other when they come home. Constantly connecting with your partner through “touch” will always keep you close as a couple.
50. Take sexy vacations or mini holidays to refresh your sexual desires for one another. Getting away from the daily routine at home puts you into a different space where you can relax. Make sure there is a double bathtub or hot tub in the hotel where you can share a glass of wine & candlelight together.
Love is like a full time job and the relationships that last for many years are the ones that were nurtured and prioritized above all other life expectations.
The grass is seldom greener on the other side so don’t walk away from a salvageable situation because you didn’t make every effort possible to be a loving partner. Never forget how to love them or why you fell for them in the beginning. Cherish every moment together and never become complacent.
It really only takes a few minutes a day to remind your partner why you love them…<3