What do you talk about on those first few dates? Is it OK to ask them about their last relationship and why they broke up with their EX? What if that is all they talk about???
I have received this question on my advice column numerous times! What is the proper etiquette when trying to get to know someone? First of all, leave the long checklist at home and let them talk openly without feeling pressured.
This is the time to pay attention to ANY red flags! Are they are ready for a relationship and are they really over their EX?
OK What Should I Be Paying Attention to?
- How much do they talk about their EX?
- Are they angry about their past relationship?
- Are they still sad about the breakup?
- Are they truly over their EX and talk about being ready for a partnership?
- Do you feel like you are the rebound person?
- Is the conversation forced or does it feel easy and natural? Is it reciprocated?
- How long has it been since their breakup?
- Do they not want to talk about anything in their past and seem emotionally closed off?
- Do they still see their Ex as friends and talk about them a lot?
- Are they talking about their ex but jumping in really fast with you at the same time?
Listen to your intuition! You know in your gut whether someone is being authentic or not.
There are always warning signs but many of us choose to let them slide because we try to give people the benefit of the doubt, or because we desperately want to be in a relationship!
There is a big difference between being too judgmental and being naive about someone!
Really listen to what someone says as you are getting to know them. If they say they’re not ready to be in a relationship, believe them! If they talk constantly about their EX they are NOT over them or available to start anything new with you or anyone else.
Always respect yourself and have some boundaries. Instinctively you know when things are going in the right direction so you shouldn’t have to second guess the situation.
If things are meant to be between the two of you, it will have a natural flow without having to sacrifice yourself in any capacity.
*Sybersue loves to hear what her viewers have to say! Please watch the video above and leave your comments below!
Susan McCord aka Dear Sybersue ❤